“The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual" [Wikipedia], and of course, thick glasses. However, nowadays the word “geek” has also been used to describe someone who’s extremely good .Geek is the New Rock star. To introduce this new meaning of the word “geek”, Online Collaborative launched the event GEEKFEST Beirut 5.0, held on July 5, 8:00 PM -THE ALLAWAY, Gemmayze
Geekfest 5.0 – Music & Fashion
Prepare your red carpet outfits and dancing shoes, it's going to be a blast!
Geekfest 5.0 will bring out all that is geeky in fashion and blend it into the urban tunes of modern Lebanese Bands and Performers. Though geeks would not admit they are into fashion, we do know that there is a certain subcultural attire associated with them and we are about to expose it to the world!
7:30 | Registration
Early registration secures spots for special sponsor goodies and Geekfest branded swag. Come early before the good stuff runs out
8:00 | Let’s Talk the Talk
- Maya Metni | Le Geek, C’est Chic! How to dress like a Geek? A practical guide.
Maya is a visual communication consultant. She gathers her musings & inspirations in her blog www.mayametni.com & @mayametni
- Tony Yammine | Crowdsourcing Music Videos – Meen the Band
Toni is a Lebanese musician/director. He likes chocolate so much, and knows how to count very well in both Lebanese and English. He also has an RC plane and tweets on @toniyammine.
- Hind Hobeika | Smart/tech clothing and where that’s all heading?
Hind is an engineer, swimmer and a self-tracking geek at its most!
- Besr Kayyali | Making Arabic Indie Music Popular Sawt.com
Beshr is a true Geek through and through. He has worked on many successful web projects for geeks apart from his day job as a developer.
- Loryne Atoui | Fashion for a cause
Loryne is a graphic designer impassioned by a crusade against breast cancer as well as travel and photography.
9:30 | On the Catwalk!
Everybody knows that Geek is the new sexy! And we’re here to prove it! Our red carpet fashion show will feature:
- REAL PEOPLE and GEEKS AS MODELS
- We promote GeekFest using FaceBook, Twitter and blogs – Some blog partners with solid ‘geek reach’. Last minute excitement runs quite high, particularly on Twitter. The event will also be live-tweeted with special thanks expressed to our sponsors. There’s always a bit of media interest in GeekFest – word of mouth has been very strong.
Have you registered yet??? Places are running out :http://bit.ly/LNxOXJ